|Wheat field in England. Photo by James Byrum on Flickr|
The reason? The date marks the start of DEFRA's consent to plant GM wheat at Rothamstead experimental station. This means that trial crops could be in the ground at any time.
There are lots of different ways you can help the GM Freeze campaign: choose any you feel comfortable with, but please take action. For example
- Pledge NO! to GM wheat.
If you can only do one thing, then do this one: sign The Pledge.
You'll find it at www.gmfreeze.org/actions/24/
- We will not buy GM wheat or any products containing GM wheat
- We will not use GM wheat in our businesses
- We don not want GM wheat or the risks it brings to our food chain and countryside
- We want the money being spent on testing GM wheat to be used for non-GM agricultural research.
- Give some leaflets about GM wheat to your bakery
Ask your local bakery to display some leaflets for customers and to sign the Pledge.
You can get the leaflets from email@example.com, or call 0845 217 8992
- Spread the word
Any organisations you're involved with (society, club, place of worship, business etc.) can lend
support to the campaign by adding their logo to the GM Freeze campaign page: ask them.
news on GM wheat and has a page to help you keep up the pressure at www.gmfreeze.org/gmwheatnothanks/gm-wheat-what-we-can-do/.
(See also GM WHEAT IN THE UK - July 2011.)
Have a productive GM-wheat-free campaign!